Lowick means "settlement on the river Low".
A Roman Road called the "Devil's Causeway" passes through Lowick on it's journey from Corbridge in the south to Berwick upon Tweed in the North of the county.
An ancient road used by the Monks of Lindisfarne to go to Durham crosses this Roman Road, east to west, and it is on this crossroads that the village of Lowick began to develop.
Monks of Lindisfarne built the Norman Chapel in Lowick when the ancient parish was sub divided. The present Anglican Church of St. John the Baptist dates from 1794, with the addition of the chancel and vestry in 1887.